Avondale Estates was founded in 1924 by George Francis Willis, who purchased the entire village of Ingleside to create a planned community.
The City was named after Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England, birthplace of William Shakespeare.
Downtown buildings were designed in a Tudor style to reinforce the English image, as were many of the houses in the City.
This Old House online magazine featured Avondale Estates as one of the "Best Old House Neighborhoods 2012." The list features neighborhoods across the country with one-of-a-kind period houses.
The City of Avondale Estates is located in DeKalb County, Georgia, and has a population of 3,360 residents.
The City is known for its close-knit community, beautiful setting and diverse architectural styles.
The first Waffle House, which opened its doors Labor Day weekend of 1955, is now a museum.
Community amenities for residents include beautiful Lake Avondale, the Avondale Community Club, tennis courts and a swimming pool.
The City is about 789.65 acres, or 1.23 square miles.
A wide breadth of data about the City is available via the U.S. Census Bureau's American FactFinder. For added convenience, download the following FactFinder tables about Avondale Estates as PDFs: