The City of Avondale Estates requires that all residential and commercial development projects obtain zoning approval. The current City’s zoning code can be found on Municode.
Homes in R-12 or R-24 should submit plans as required when completing a building permit application. Doing so triggers a zoning review. The City will contact the applicants if additional information is needed
Commercial and Multi-family Residential Projects
Commercial and multi-family residential projects must apply separately for zoning approval.
The zoning application outlines required information and attachments. Submitting the application begins the process.
Commercial projects may have city staff review and approve a site plan in advance of a zoning review by completing the Site Plan Review Application prior to applying for zoning approval.
To Start the Process:
- Complete the Site Plan Review Application (optional).
- Complete the Zoning Application. Submitting the application triggers a zoning review.
- Complete the Variance, Waiver or Rezoning Application (as needed).
Each application costs $100.00. Submit a check in the amount of $100.00 payable to the City of Avondale Estates to City Hall within in 48 hours of submitting an application. An application is not considered complete until payment is received. Applications will be reviewed within 10 business days once a complete packet had been received.
Contact Lori Leland for additional information or direction.
- Items Needed for a Site Plan Application
The following documents are required for a preliminary site plan review for projects in all zoning districts other than R-12 and R-24,
- Items Needed for a Zoning Application
The following documents are required for zoning review for projects in all zoning districts other than R-12 and R-24,
- Items Needed for Variances, Waivers or Rezoning Applications
- a summary of the proposed project,
- a list of requested variances or waivers to the zoning code with code reference and explanation of variance request and proposed justification,
- the legal description and plat of the property,
- scale drawing(s) of the existing condition,
- a site survey,
- scale drawing(s) of the proposed site plan,
- authorization to inspect the premises,
- authorization by the property owner if the applicant is not the owner of the property,
- photos of the existing site including the structure to be modified,
- rendering of the project including dimensions of all sides of the building,
- photos of the structure as seen from the street, and
- justifications for relevant review and approval criteria.