Every five years, state legislation requires cities to update their Comprehensive Development Plan (CDP), a long-range action plan which guides investment, development and allocation of services. With assistance from the Atlanta Regional Commission, the City of Avondale Estates updated its plan this year. A draft
of the plan is available on the City’s website.
Timeline for CDP Draft Review
- Sept. 22: CDP draft discussed at the Board of Mayor and Commissioners (BOMC) meeting
- Oct. 6: Community deadline for written comments
- Oct. 13: Public Hearing prior to the Commission Meeting
- November: Presentation of a final draft of the plan to the BOMC after review by the Department of Community Affairs
Quick Points About the Updated CDP
Five-year updates are often tweaks to current plans and not complete overhauls. Goals and visions are reaffirmed, and the status of work plans are updated. The City’s update was similar with the following highlights:
- Smart Growth Emphasis: a goal was added to encourage environmental and economic sustainability and resilience, reflecting the community’s values.
- Impressive Progress in Five Years: Over 56% of the action items from the 2016 CDP were completed including:
- the adoption of new zoning codes and preservation guidelines,
- breaking ground on the new Town Green, and
- the development of a new street grid for downtown.
The work plan in this draft lays out an assertive, but achievable set of projects to continue to work towards our vision.
Submit Your Comments
The community is invited to submit comments
regarding the CDP draft by Oct. 6
The CDP update was enriched by the participation of many of you. Thank you for completing the community survey and participating in the workshop earlier this year. Additionally, the staff recognizes the work of the steering committee consisting of a diverse representation of community and elected leaders who guided the update of this plan.